The University was established on 22nd May 2000 by the name of the Institute of Pharmacy, Mandalay with the first and foremost batch of 163 matriculated students selected through entrance examination, temporarily occupying the former Ba Htoo hostel in the campus of the Institute of Medicine, Mandalay. The institute was moved to the former Mental Hospital on the 35th Street between 65th and 66th streets on 25th June 2000. On 4th May 2004, she finally came to its present place, on Htonebo-Myitnge two-way road near Taw-twin village, Amarapura Township, Mandalay Division.
The name was officially changed to the University of Pharmacy, Mandalay in 2006. The first graduation ceremony was held on 26th June 2004 and started offering B. Pharm. degree to 73 graduates. Up to now, she has conferred B Pharm degree to 1193 graduates and M. Pharm. to 2 up to 13th graduation ceremony held on 5th February 2015.